Digital Marketing The Basics Series
Social media used to be just that, social. As companies are looking for better way to connect with their customers, social media has become a huge marketing arena. In today’s environment though, businesses can easily become overwhelmed with managing all of the digital marketing channels available to them.
Let’s walk through the 7 basics of what any business needs to know when developing a social media strategy:
Choose your channels
How do you decide where your business needs to be? It generally makes sense to do 2-3 channels well rather than trying to do everything. Here is a quick review of each major social platform:
Complete your profile for each channel
- Claim your company’s name and URL
- Build your profile images
- Fill in your “about” sections including your location and phone number
Follow your customers, business partners and business neighbors
Stay timely and current on your channels. Keep your eye on your page for mentions, reviews, comments.
Determine your frequency of posting content and what type of content you will post.
- While you don’t have to post every day, social media is more than set it and forget it. Stay on brand, share relevant content, promote current happenings, blogs, webinars, specials
- Cautionary tale – keep in mind that in today’s world, some social media channels have become an inflamed forum full of political opinions, ultimatums, and controversy. If you are inclined to speak up on behalf of your business, keep in mind you will alienate some of your potential clients and prospects.
Promote your channels
- On your website
- In your email signature
- On any printed collateral that goes out to clients